BolderBOULDER Announces Team USA and Team Colorado
Men’s and Women’s teams confirmed to participate in the International Team Challenge
BOULDER, COLO. (May 20, 2013) – BolderBOULDER, America’s All-Time Best 10K, announced today the men and women that will be racing in the 2013 BolderBOULDER with teams USA and Colorado for the International Team Challenge.
The BolderBOULDER established the International Team Challenge in 1998 and it includes professional runners from all over the world that compete on three-person teams in a team by country format, for one of the largest non-marathon prize purse races in the country. This year’s total prize purse is valued at $110,600 before bonuses. The men’s and women’s professional races follow the BolderBOULDER course and are scheduled to finish just before the start of the Memorial Day Tribute.
“We are always very excited to host the International Team Challenge each year and feel that not only is it a chance to showcase some of the best professional runners from all over the world but that is also a highlight for every spectator and BolderBOULDER runner on race day,” said Cliff Bosley, race director.
Team USA Men
- Aaron Braun a Fort Collins native and Adams State graduate who placed fourth in last year’s International Team Challenge
- Brent Vaughn an Aurora, CO native, University Colorado graduate and winner of the 2011 U.S. Cross Country Championship
- Kenyon Nueman a Nike Racing Team runner and University of Colorado alumni
Team USA Women
- Stephanie Rothstein, who placed 8th in the Olympic Track and field trials in the 10,000 meter race
- Boulderite Laura Thweat the ninth fastest 5K University of Colorado performer ever
- Olympian Deena Kastor, 2004 Olympic Bronze medalist and three-time winner of the BolderBOULDER.
“I’m very excited about this year’s field. The US and Team CO members are a mixture of seasoned road-racers and young up and coming athletes. All of them are altitude trained and ready to challenge the world at the BolderBOULDER. Team strategy is critical in the BolderBOULDER and I know that these strategies are already being developed by the US and Colorado teams, “ said Don Janicki, professional athlete coordinator for the BolderBOULDER.
Team Colorado Men
- Josh Eberly the 2012 BolderBOULDER men’s “A” wave winner
- Tyler McCandless sponsored by 2013 BolderBOULDER sponsor Newton Running
- Sean Quigley who placed 1st at the US 20K Championships in 2010
Team Colorado Women
- Nuta Olaru the 2012 BolderBOULDER women’s “A” wave winner
- Mattie Suver former University of Oregon All-American
- Bri Nelson a member of team BRC/Adidas.
“Both Mattie and Bri have just been on a tear this year, getting better on a national and international level. Mattie finished 26th at the World Cross Country Championships and Bri was second at the US ten-miler. So to be picked for the BolderBOULDER is just awesome, especially since they are both local athletes,” said Scott Simmons, director of the American Distance Project in Colorado Springs.
The International Team Challenge will take place at the BolderBOULDER on Monday, May 27th with the women’s race beginning at 11:13 AM and the men’s race beginning at 11:24 AM. All athletes are subject to change before race day.