Starting November 28, 2016, Open Space and Mountain Parks (OSMP) Department will repair and rebuild the flood-damaged NCAR-Bear Canyon Trail and a Mesa Trail section south of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). The project completion will re-establish emergency vehicle access to the area.
The NCAR-Bear Canyon Trail and a half-mile section of the Mesa Trail will have sectional closures for at least six months depending on the weather. Trails will be closed in phases to minimize impacts to visitors. Trail closures will change frequently during this project so please check bearcanyon.org before visiting the area.
Trail sections not in active construction sites will be closed 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, but remain open during weekends and evenings.
- Intermittently closed 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday:
- NCAR – Bear Canyon Trail up to the Mesa Trail
- Mesa Trail from NCAR – Bear Canyon intersection to Mallory Cave Trail intersection
- Closed full-time (24 hours/day, seven days/week):
- Mesa Trail from NCAR-Bear Canyon intersection to Bear Canyon Trail intersection
Other Trail Improvements in this Area
OSMP has trail crews repairing the flood-damaged NCAR-Bear Connector Trail. No trail closures will occur on this trail during reconstruction.